Design Tech // AfterEffects Animation / Final

Space Projection

Space Projection AE Animation (Loop x 3)

Things I Learned & Discovered:

  • Simple animations can be more interesting than complex ones.
  • Simple movements and effects can create interesting moments.
  • Experimenting and playing with effects and presets created happy accidents even in animation.
  • Adding sound helped inspire and guide me through what movements and which shapes to animate.

Design Tech // Mural / Week 6 & 7

We changed the measurements of the lines to the widths of the tapes we had, and followed the pattern of the digital file to map out the lines on the mural wall. The taping took the longest time for us to complete, because we wanted to make sure it was as precise as possible. It was hard to keep the tape straight. So we developed a system where someone would measure the distance between each line and place pencil marks all along the wall, then we use the marks to align the tape and make sure it’s taped in a straight line.

Then we started to paint over the tape. We were worried that the paint might bleed under the tape, and we might not end up with exact straight lines. However after we removed the tape, because we double checked that the tape had no bubbles, the lines were all straight except for the places where the plaster created a bump that we couldn’t flatten. So we fixed that with white paint.

File_000.jpeg

File_000 (2).jpeg

After that we used the projector to trace the organic shapes. Because the outlines weren’t very clear, we got mixed up for one of the areas, so we then decided to alter the design a bit to fix it.

File_001.jpeg

I then tested out different compositions for adding color to our mural:

I liked the compositions with the color filled in the spaces between the lines, and how they created a relationship and connected all the organic shapes together. I showed my group members and they also agreed that this composition was the best one.

After that I tested out more color options for the composition:

Our group then decided on the final color, teal. At first each one preferred another color and we couldn’t decide. So we then decided on teal because the other groups didn’t choose that color, and we wanted a color that would work well with the furniture in the student lounge.

FINAL COLOR*-04.jpg

Final Mural Wall

75c7f9e5-74f3-45c6-add7-d5e15bfd6db6.jpg

Things I Learned:

  • Dividing tasks between members according to each person’s skills helped us become more efficient.
  • Collaborating with other people helps you create work that you might have never done if you worked on your own.
  • Transforming digital work to analogue was an interesting experience, because I never thought I could paint anything. However this project showed me that even if I can’t paint free hand, I can always use my digital work as a guide.

Design Tech // Week 2 – 5 / Overview

 

Week 2 – Scans & 100 Things

We brought in a variety of black mediums to work with, and started to doddle our names and abstract forms. Then we started to vectorize our doodles, by either capturing them in the Adobe Capture app on our phone, or moving around the doodles on the scanner bed to create happy accidents.

Some of my Scans

For the next class we had to come in with a 100 things made on Illustrator, this was so we can experiment with the effects and basic tools of Illustrator. I made a system for some where I made ten different iterations of the same basic form. This helped me reach 100, and I realized that iterations can be a useful tool to make a lot of things quickly, and that even though they were iterations they could still look interesting.

Some of the 100 Things

Week 3 – Minimal Systems

Because the 100 things ended up being very complicated forms, we were asked to use the four basic shapes: square, circle, line, triangle, and two shapes combined, another shape and scans, to create 10 iterations for each. The first one ended up being complicated because we used a lot of effects on the basic shapes. So for the second version we had limitations: we couldn’t use effects, and we had to use only three shapes. It seemed challenging at first, however when I started working on it, and made small changes to the iterations, I realized that being limited to a few shapes can actually make the final form interesting, because you have to think about the composition of the shapes.

First Complicated Grid

Grid - 1.jpg

Second Basic Grid

Grid - 2.jpg

Week 4 – Vectorizing Real Objects 

We were given a variety of objects and toys to vectorize and turn them into flat illustrations on Illustrator. Then we had to create an abstracted avatar of ourselves. I really enjoyed this exercise, because I loved how simple shapes can be manipulated to resemble a real 3D object.

Illustrations 

Week 5 – Mural Designs

Our group is called the Maxi-Minis. A combination of maximal and minimal, because two of us were really interested in minimal forms and the other two were interested in maximal forms. So we worked separately at first and made some options for our murals, then we choose the best elements of each and combined them in one mural. We then realized that it was to complicated and busy, so we simplified it to one minimal form and one maximal form. I learned that less is really more, and limiting the amount of forms on a page can help make it much more powerful and clearer.

First Mural Options 

Combined Murals

Final Simplified Mural

1Artboard 5.jpg