Visual Narrative || Kinetic Type | Week Three

I continued my process of using the storyboard as a loose plan and adapting it to create the most appropriate animation that translates the sound to movements the best. I sometimes create multiple options and then play them back to back to compare and select the one that captures the movement the best, sometimes I choose the animation that embodies the background sound effects the best, so, for example, the way the animation fades would visualize the sound effect that is heard.

For the second scene in the video, the “Stonehenge” scene, I added texture to the word, because the setting for that scene was the Stonehenge, and by adding something to it, I emphasized its importance. However, the typeface I was using for the video, didn’t have a font in the same family with a texture. I tried using this typeface (typeface a), which looked like the Stonehenge because it was made of blocks, but it looked completely out of sync with the rest of the video, and I couldn’t use it anywhere else to not make it an anomaly. So I tried to find a typeface with a texture that looked like the typeface I used for the rest. I found one that was close enough (typeface b), but it still had different characteristics and looked a bit off when you saw the whole video.

Screen Shot 2018-02-25 at 5.03.13 PM.png

typeface a

Screen Shot 2018-02-25 at 5.07.25 PM.png

typeface b

So I wanted to edit the typeface I was using for the whole video, Abolition, to make a version with a texture that I could use, I couldn’t just import vector files because I was using a text animation preset that only works with type. So after experimenting with creating a variety of textures to try and find the perfect one, I created a typeface in Glyphs and installed it, so that I could use the texture version I created, and the animation preset still worked.

Screen Shot 2018-02-25 at 5.08.02 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-02-25 at 5.07.38 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-02-25 at 5.25.40 PM.png

One of the feedback the professors gave me was to add simple illustrations of the Stonehenge over the word “Stonehenge”. However after I tried it, and it looked too cliche, and I felt like I was saying the same thing three times (technically four), since the type, texture, (and sound) said it, and adding illustrations felt like too much.

Screen Shot 2018-02-25 at 5.03.31 PM.png

Another feedback I got was to treat the word Pandorica differently since it’s the main subject of the monologue. The professors suggested I change its color. I changed it to a mint green (the color of the Pandorica). However because the rest of the text is white, the contrast of white on navy was stronger than the mint on navy, so it didn’t give it the same importance. As I was playing with the effects, I found one called “glow”, and it worked really well for the word because the Pandorica has a glow in the show.

Screen Shot 2018-02-25 at 5.29.29 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-02-25 at 5.28.28 PM.png

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s