Visual Narrative || Three Posters | Week Two P2

The next day, I tried to start designing these posters, but every time I tried something I either felt like I was stuck, or it wasn’t working and that I didn’t know what to do next.

These are the posters:

PD-FirstDraftPosters1.png

I first tried to use scenes to create minimal outlines if the figures to represent the scenes. However, it felt too abstract and it didn’t really show what was happening.

PD-FirstDraftPosters2.png

I illustrated the Pie Hole with and without the building, but I wasn’t sure what to do next so I kept it aside until I figured out the rest.

PD-FirstDraftPosters3.png

I then tried to illustrate the Pie Hole’s interior using this image. I tried to use the circles as the characters, but it didn’t really work. So I tried to separate the poster into two with the solid color, similar to how the kitchen and restaurant are separated in the photo.

PD-FirstDraftPosters4.png

I then experimented with the type (my own or the show’s logo). I preferred the show’s type because it captured the feel of the show. I also experimented with adding the floral pattern that is seen in Olive’s apartment.

PD-FirstDraftPosters5.png

I then tried to add an illustration of Ned and created a new pattern of pies, and I experimented with the composition of these elements.

I realized that I might be feeling stuck and not sure what to do next because I didn’t have a plan on how the three could connect. And because I had many different ideas, they kept colliding and made my process slower. So I took the notes I wrote down from the critiques on Monday that I thought could work for me, and used them to frame my plan.

IMG_1315.jpg

Monday’s critique notes.

 

Screen Shot 2018-01-28 at 12.22.33 PM.png

Plan for typographic direction and illustration direction for the three posters.

Having a plan for two directions gave me enough space to experiment, while still being productive. These are the posters:

 

Screen Shot 2018-01-27 at 4.27.00 PM.png

So using the plan I made, I started to illustrate other things. Here I turned the rotten and fresh strawberries into a pattern and applied the previous system.

 

Screen Shot 2018-01-28 at 12.26.02 PM.png

Here I tried a new typographic system, which I liked more, and kept a third of the poster with the pattern. Appling the pattern to the type was a happy accident since I wanted to pick up the red color, but instead, it picked up the pattern and it looked like a cool effect.

 

Screen Shot 2018-01-28 at 12.25.24 PM.png

So I experimented with different color backgrounds and changing the background of the type and pattern, to see which system would work the best.

 

Screen Shot 2018-01-28 at 12.27.16 PM.png

I tried to then apply this system to the other two sentence/paragraphs. Here I tried to come up with another option for the pattern, but the pies still worked better.

 

Screen Shot 2018-01-28 at 12.28.26 PM.png

For the third paragraph, because it was too long, the pattern affected the legibility of the text, I tried making the pattern bigger and smaller, but it always felt off. The daisy pattern was the best from the four, so I decided to test it out when it was printed. I thought in the final poster size, it might be big enough to be legible.

 

Screen Shot 2018-01-27 at 4.31.29 PM.png

After I finished the typographic directions, I worked on the illustrated directions. Here I experimented with how zoomed in this scene could be, and how the gradient of the sunset could be made.

 

Screen Shot 2018-01-28 at 12.29.19 PM.png

Here are the other minimal posters. I felt like they were too simple to represent the show; that had so many visual elements and patterns and details.

 

Screen Shot 2018-01-27 at 4.31.03 PM.png

I revisited the building illustration and edited the colors to match the other bright posters.

After the critique on Wednesday, the professors thought these three posters worked well together. I didn’t think about mixing the approaches, but when they hung them next to each other, I realized that they worked really well together, because they all had the same colors and the same illustration style.

Screen Shot 2018-01-28 at 12.41.13 PM.png

 

Screen Shot 2018-01-28 at 12.33.16 PM.png

For the poetic poster, the contrast of the green with the type and pattern made it illegible. So I changed it to blue, which was a higher contrast and it made it more readable.

 

Screen Shot 2018-01-28 at 12.38.23 PM.png

For the persuasive poster, it was too simple, so I added more elements with the phrase, to make it more like the spirit of the show.

 

Screen Shot 2018-01-28 at 1.03.33 PM.png

For the pragmatic poster, I made the text type size smaller, and I placed the actors’ names inside the windows, so they are easier to read and appear as if they are “living” in the apartments over the restaurant.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s