We changed the measurements of the lines to the widths of the tapes we had, and followed the pattern of the digital file to map out the lines on the mural wall. The taping took the longest time for us to complete, because we wanted to make sure it was as precise as possible. It was hard to keep the tape straight. So we developed a system where someone would measure the distance between each line and place pencil marks all along the wall, then we use the marks to align the tape and make sure it’s taped in a straight line.
Then we started to paint over the tape. We were worried that the paint might bleed under the tape, and we might not end up with exact straight lines. However after we removed the tape, because we double checked that the tape had no bubbles, the lines were all straight except for the places where the plaster created a bump that we couldn’t flatten. So we fixed that with white paint.
After that we used the projector to trace the organic shapes. Because the outlines weren’t very clear, we got mixed up for one of the areas, so we then decided to alter the design a bit to fix it.
I then tested out different compositions for adding color to our mural:
I liked the compositions with the color filled in the spaces between the lines, and how they created a relationship and connected all the organic shapes together. I showed my group members and they also agreed that this composition was the best one.
After that I tested out more color options for the composition:
Our group then decided on the final color, teal. At first each one preferred another color and we couldn’t decide. So we then decided on teal because the other groups didn’t choose that color, and we wanted a color that would work well with the furniture in the student lounge.
Final Mural Wall
Things I Learned:
- Dividing tasks between members according to each person’s skills helped us become more efficient.
- Collaborating with other people helps you create work that you might have never done if you worked on your own.
- Transforming digital work to analogue was an interesting experience, because I never thought I could paint anything. However this project showed me that even if I can’t paint free hand, I can always use my digital work as a guide.