Final A3 Composition
The sentence is broken up into three parts to activate the page. The number of lines in each part also countdown from three.
The first and third part of the sentence are aligned. The word ‘parrot’ broke the alignment, to visualize the action of the parrot.
The word ‘parrot’ is condensed, to bring attention to the words since it was typeset differently. The condensed space between the letters juxtaposes the idea of wandering, with being constrained and condensed in a small space.
I used a grid to create a relationship between the spacing of the parts. The ‘parrot’ is one fourth of the way down compared to the space between the first and last part, and is one third the space horizontally from the vertical alignment of the two parts.
- I also optically adjusted ‘studio’ and ‘jubilantly’, so that they come out of the alignment a bit, so that the overall alignment doesn’t seem off.
Final A4 Composition
- I used elements of the letters to align each part, by aligning some of the ascenders and descenders of the words from one line to the next.
- I broke off the word ‘parrot’ from the rest of the sentence this time, by making it a slightly bolder typeface.
- I activated the space by placing the text in the bottom right corner. Because you usually read Latin type from left to right, and placing the text in the opposite corner activates the negative space.
- The whole type is set in a condensed typeface which also juxtaposes the idea of wandering, by being constrained and condensed in a small space.
- The text is placed two thirds from the bottom compared to the space between the text and right corner of the page.
Things I learned:
That making the cliche and bad compositions at first helped me get them out my system, so that I could then focus on finding new ways to compose the sentence. Rather than going back to the typical and usual way, because I already did those.
- That making informed decisions for type, makes the composition a lot better. Because it adds meaning to the text, rather than just being aesthetically pleasing. So when the viewer starts to understand why you emphasized a certain word or the sentence breaks start to make sense, their experience of reading the sentence will be meaningful and different.