After we typeset the five pairs of words in the ten fonts, we printed them out on A3 and laid them out in the saffron hall. It was interesting to see all the words laid out in a grid next to each other. Looking at the words from the top, and comparing them with each other, made me notice the negative space and kerning between the letters because they were much bigger than usual. I also noticed that the Arabic words stood out a lot more than the Latin words, because of the short length of the words and the nature of their letterforms, they fill up the page more. After that we had to pick twenty five words and analyze them, compare them with other words, and/or specify what needs to be kerned on the paper.
Some of my Analysis
We also had to kern our chosen word. I choose the word “دقة” the Arabic word for ‘Precise’, because the variety of meanings and definitions I found for it generated the most ideas for materials that I can use for the final word, and helped make the concept a lot stronger. Because my Arabic word was kerned really well and I didn’t need to add kashida. I kerned the opposite Latin word “inaccurate”. Printing out the word while kerning helped me prefect it, because it really does make a difference when you see the word and the negative spaces physically rather than on a screen.
For the Arabic word, I was in between two fonts, so I decided that after I choose the material I would decide on the font that works best with my material.
For the next class we had to bring in material studies for our word. I used materials that oppose the meaning, and materials that support the meaning of precise: